Your Guide to California Wine Month on the Central Coast
September brings with it exciting new possibilities of the upcoming fall season. Aside from busy schedules and the impending scene change, September offers something truly exciting for wine lovers across California. We’re officially pronouncing it California Wine Month, which celebrates the beginning of wine country’s most anticipated event of the year: harvest season! This month is all about raising a glass to California’s hard-working vintners and growers and all that they bring to our local lifestyle, economy, and culinary scene. It’s also the perfect time to expand your palate by trying new varieties, as wineries and vineyards across San Luis Obispo County open their doors for plenty of tastings, unique festivals, food pairing events, and more.
But with over 200 wineries in Paso Robles alone, it can be overwhelming to decide where to start your wine country journey this September. Lucky for you, we’ve compiled a guide based on winery features that are typically most sought after by our hotel guests: wineries with live music, with stunning views, with award-winning wines, and with yummy food. Review some of the options below and start planning your California Wine Month getaway with Maritn Resorts today!
Wineries with Live Music
As the wine industry grows on the beautiful Central Coast, so does our local live music scene! There’s something truly special about watching the sun dip below the rolling hills of wine country while you move and groove to eclectic performances on an Indian summer evening. Grab your dancing shoes and make plans to check some of these fun spots during your visit.
• Broken Earth Winery: The last Friday of each month Broken Earth features a local artist for you to listen to while you sip and enjoy! This month they’re featuring Kevin Graybill, an acoustic Indi-Folk singer.
•Halter Ranch Vineyard: their Sunday food and wine pairings create the perfect way to spend an afternoon. You can’t go wrong with their delicious wood-fired pizza and wine pairing while listening to live music.
San Luis Obispo
• Clairborne & Churchill Vintners: Enjoy a fun and relaxing evening with wine, local Central Coast food, more win and of course live music. Grab your favorite beach blanket or lawn chair and meet some new faces.
• Wolff Vineyards: Wind down the week, sip a glass of Wolff Vineyards wine in their garden and enjoy live music while watching a beautiful sunset! We’ll drink to that.
• Wine Down Wednesday at Baileyana: Starting at 5 pm, watch the sun start to set and enjoy a glass or bottle of your favorite wine; Live music by Ras Danny – Authentic Jamaican Reggae Music! Food available to purchase from Kabab Kitchen Food Truck.
Wineries with a View
Although almost every one of our local wineries offers beautiful vistas of California Wine country beyond their doors, but we’ve selected a few that stand out.
• Calcareous Vineyard: With 442 acres perched atop 1,800 feet of solid calcareous rock on the west side of Paso Robles and only 12 miles away from the Pacific Ocean, this vineyard is a sanctuary where wine lovers can drink in the best of Paso Robles wine country.
• Daou Vineyards & Winery: At Daou’s mountaintop estate, you’ll enjoy an above-the-clouds view that was once said to be “a candidate for one of the top 10 most beautiful vineyard vistas in the world” by a veteran wine critic.
San Luis Obispo
• Edna Valley Vineyards: Tucked away in a prime location along California’s Central Coast, Edna Valley Vineyard lies just a few miles from Pismo Beach in San Luis Obispo. Amid the stunning scenery and the casual, laidback lifestyle of San Luis Obispo, Edna Valley Vineyard is a must-see.
• Kelsey See Canyon Vineyards: Nestled among apple orchards in the heart of See Canyon, this winery is minutes from Avila Beach and the Pacific Ocean – a short drive through one of the most beautiful areas in San Luis Obispo County. Come breathe fresh air and listen to the sounds of a gentle creek while being serenaded by the peacocks that freely roam the property.
Home to the Central Coast Wine Competition’s Winery of the Year and with Wine Spectator citing Paso Robles as ‘one of the most exciting places‘ for California wine, let’s be real—the Central Coast’s award-winning wines are the real reason for your visit this September. Check out some of our county’s top 2019 winners below.
•Solis Winery: Best White Wine/Best of Show, their rare varietal of Italian white wine was the first time an Italian white has won the best of show.
•Laetitia Vineyard: Best Sparkling Wine, this was awarded to Laetitia Vineyard for their 2016 Brut Rosé. The same bubbles from the Arroyo Grande winery also claimed a Double Gold Medal.
•Halter Ranch Vineyard: Best Rosé/Best Red Wine, Halter Ranch’s 2016 Red Ancestor took the prize for it’s tasty Bordeaux Blend and also won best pink wine for their 2018 Rhone-style Rosé.
•Glunz Family Winery: Best Dessert Wine, for the third consecutive year, Glunz Family Winery’s Mission Angelica, won the prize of Best Dessert Wine and Fortified Desserts. Third times the charm!
Wineries with Food
Enjoying excellent wine with perfectly paired food is a tried-and-true way to experience all that the Central Coast is best known for. Get a taste of San Luis Obispo wine country by visiting the wineries below.
• San Antonio Winery: available for lunch and dinner, the Bistro at San Antonio Winery offers an array of appetizers, pasta entrees, pizza, salads, sandwiches soups and more! Enjoy their food and wine pairings in a casual setting with amazing vineyard views.
• Parrish Family Vineyard: if you’re in search of the perfect Sunday Brunch look no further than Parrish Family Vineyard, their estate chef has expertly paired some of the wineries Bordeaux-style wines with their food offerings.
• Niner Wine Estates: sourcing their ingredients from local artisans, butchers, and farmers. Enjoy one of their brunch or lunch options while overlooking their Heart Hill Vineyard.
No matter where you choose to relax and un-WINE-d, we know you’ll enjoy the charms and picturesque views that make the Central Coast so inviting and keep drawing in visitors from around the world. Cheers!