Tips from a Local for SLO County Summer Concerts
Summer is in the air! Days are longer and nights are warmer, making it the perfect time of year to enjoy free outdoor concerts across San Luis Obispo County. From Paso Robles to Pismo Beach, many towns along the Central Coast host summer concert series in local parks and plazas, including:
• The Pacific Breeze Concert Series at Dinosaur Caves Park in Pismo Beach, every Saturday until September 14th from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
• Concerts in the Park at the Paso Robles Downtown City Park, every Thursday until August 15th beginning at 6 p.m.
• Barefoot Concerts on the Green at Sea Pines Golf Resort, every Saturday until July 27th beginning at 2 p.m.
• Concerts in the Plaza at the Mission Plaza in San Luis Obispo, every Friday until September 13th beginning at 5 p.m.
Now that you know where to go, make sure you have the best summer concert experience ever by using our tips below!
1. Arrive early to find parking
As some of the most beloved events of the summer, the free concert series’ are well attended. That being said, it can be hard to find a place to park for the concerts. Leave your house at least a half an hour early to give yourself enough time to find a spot, walk to the venue, and set up camp for the duration of the performance. If you choose to attend Concerts in the Plaza in San Luis Obispo, bring cash to pay for the parking structure. If you’re attending the Paso Robles Concert in the Park series (starting this Thursday!), book a room at the Paso Robles Inn so you can leave your car in the hotel’s parking lot, located just across the street from the Downtown City Park!
2. Bring blankets & chairs
Once you’ve found parking and have made it to the concert venue, it’s time to set up your space for the evening. We encourage you to bring both blankets AND chairs, as there might be limited space to spread your blanket, in which case you’ll need your lawn chairs. However, if there is space for both your chairs and blankets, it’s nice to have the option of laying in the grass or spreading a picnic across the blanket. If you have little ones, they’ll love napping, playing, and stretching out instead of being limited to a chair.
3. Bring your dancing shoes (but bare feet are welcome)
When you mix music, wine, and sweet summertime, you can expect a dance party to follow. Don’t be afraid to let loose at these fun concerts, moving and grooving to the sounds of country, blues, rock, reggae, and other genres from local bands. Kick off your shoes and feel the cool grass between your toes as you let the music take control for a true summer concert experience.